Ideal Viewing

Many years ago my friend and roommate Chuck and I found that fourth row center was the optimum place within most auditoriums to view most movies. Heaven knows in all of the hundreds of movies we have seen together over many years we tried just about everywhere else.

In the large auditoriums the seats are a reputable distance from the screen, and the fourth row is close enough to be enveloped by the cinema experience without being so close that one’s view of the motion picture is distorted. In the smaller venues which offer smaller screens, any further back than fourth row and one may find oneself distracted by restless audience members and the occasional top hat.

Since then, Fourth Row Center has come to mean to me an ideal location for viewing not just movies, but the world around me. A view from near the front, but central enough to put what I am seeing into some sort of context.

I have established this blog for that purpose - a forward but centered viewpoint from which I plan to make observations from time to time about the media, the newsmakers and the world around me.

I will continue to post my more personal entries over at Pacific Grits.

Portions of this post are reprinted from my blog Pacific Grits.

Comments

Chuck said…
I am honored to be featured in your banner. I just wish you had the original photo from outside of the columbia mall theaters after we saw Mosquito Coast (to this day, I have not rewatched that film. It was the turning point for me and Harrison Ford).
James said…
I will see what I can do about finding the Mosquito Coast photo.

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in Peace, Miss Moneypenney

Captain Marvel Makes Her Debut