Hobbit Happenings

I have always been a big fan of Tolkien's "The Hobbit." I may be one of the few people that actually thinks that the Rankin-Bass animated adaptation is not that bad, especially if you consider that R&B also made all of the classic CBS Christmas Specials. And, because the story was written for Tolkien's children, it adapted much better to the R&B style then the "Return of the King."

Also, I have always enjoyed Ralph Bakshi's "Lord of the Rings." Because at the time I was reading LOTR, this was all that was available. I really kept waiting for part two (in fact, I still am). Yes, I know, there are incredible pacing problems, characters are just all wrong (Sam) and some of the design really makes you go hmmm (Treebeard).

Move forward to Peter Jackson's films. I have been listening to the newly released "Two Towers Complete Recording" soundtrack. "Two Towers" has been my least favorite of the films. Yes, the ending is incredible, oh, but the build up to it in the second act took forever. However, the sound track has been my favorite since I first listened. PJ's films simply can not be compared to either the R&B versions or ever RB's 1/2 version. PJ delivered the essence of the books and made three fine films. Something George Lucas has struggled to do since 1983.

Many fans, my self included, want to see PJ make "The Hobbit." Recently, MGM, a partial rights holder, has stated that they want to move forward on "The Hobbit" but no one had contacted PJ and company. PJ recently wrote a letter to the fans of "The One Ring.Net" web site stating some of the difficulties surrounding his relationship with New Line Cinema. Apparently, we will need to wait a little longer for "The Hobbit" to happen.

Comments

James said…
We'll keep waiting...

Popular posts from this blog

Captain Marvel Makes Her Debut

Rest in Peace, Miss Moneypenney