Evan Almighty

The Star Trek 5 Effect (ST5E, for those of you in the know) is where watching parts of a movie is better than the whole film put together. So named because I hated Star Trek V when it came out, but came to like certain set pieces of the film. I have, since starting to rent movies from one of many redbox kiosks, now created what I call the Redbox Effect (RBE, again, for those of you in the know). This is when a bad movie, is not so bad, because you only paid a buck for it, and it is not due back until nine tomorrow night.

Evan Almighty was influenced by the RBE, and wasn't as bad as I had thought it was going to be.

The film stars Steve Carell as a newly elected congressman from Buffalo, NY. He quickly is courted to be a junior sponsor on a bill by congressman Long, played by John Goodman. We come to find out that perhaps Evan's election was somewhat rigged by Long, but that would give too much of the plot away. Besides, we don't want to see Evan the Congressman, no we want to see Steve Carell build an ark.

Evan begins waking up at 6:14 every morning, according to his GENeral Electric bedside clock. And the God, in the form of Morgan Freeman starts showing up and telling Evan to build him an ark. Evan needs convincing, and God starts showing up in all sorts of places. Animals start following Evan around (in pairs of course), and a follicle transformation begins to mold Evan's appearance to the role. After being humiliated in Congress, Evan eventually starts work on the ark.

We watched Evan Almighty for pizza movie night. The kids had been wanting to see it, and we watched it sans clearplay (it has been a while since I have used that player). There were a few things that went over their head, but overall, it was not that bad. I like watching Carell, but it is getting more difficult to separate him from his Office character (unlike Little Miss Sunshine). I sorta like the idea of God being more like the Easy Reader than George Burns. My favorite line is when God appears in the back seat of Evan's car. Evan screams in fear, and God says "Let it out son, it's the beginning of Wisdom."

Perhaps better than the movie, are the technical extras on the DVD. There are two "Making Of" films that describe the make up of Noah, and the building of the ark. Don't miss those. The outtakes are not that funny, and there was a deleted scenes section, but I skipped it.

Evan Almighty was entertaining for what it was, so keep your expectations low and rent it for a dollar and you might get a few chuckles.

Powered by ScribeFire.

Comments

George said…
Did you see Bruce Almighty? I haven't seen Evan, but I loved Bruce. How do you compare this one to Bruce?
George said…
I finally watched this one this weekend...and I'm sorry to say that I loved it. I wasn't expecting much, after the weak reviews and because I liked Bruce Almighty so much that I assumed this one would suck, However, I found it to be very entertaining, good message, funny writing. Granted, the flood scene was a bit cheesy, but overall this was a good movie and much better han the other films I've seen with Steve Carell.

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in Peace, Miss Moneypenney

Captain Marvel Makes Her Debut