This Year's Oscar Picks & Winners


We find it interesting this year that we agreed on so many of the nominations, considering we diverged on so many of our picks last year. That said, we appear to be back in old form with many of the same opinions on the 2007 crop of films (The Mist being the one big exception). And our picks weren't way off, either.

Here, them, our picks and the results for the 80th Academy Awards:

BEST ACTOR
Chuck & James: Daniel Day Lewis, There Will Be Blood (winner)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Chuck & James: Javier Bardem, No Country for Old Men (winner)

BEST ACTRESS
Chuck: & James: Ellen Page, Juno
Winner: Marion Cotillard, Le Vie en Rose

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Chuck & James: Tilda Swenton, Michael Clayton (winner)

BEST SCORE
Chuck: Atonement (winner)
James: 3:10 to Yuma

BEST EDITING
Chuck & James: Roderick Jaynes, No Country for Old Men
Note: Roderick Jaynes is a pseudonym for Joel and Ethan Coen
Winner: The Bourne Ultimatum

BEST ART DIRECTION
Chuck & James: Sweeny Todd (winner)

BEST COSTUMES
Chuck & James: Sweeny Todd
Winner: Elizabeth: The Golden Age

BEST MAKEUP
Chuck & James: Pirates of the Caribbean
Winner: Le Vie en Rose

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Chuck: There Will Be Blood (winner)
James: No Country for Old Men

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Chuck: Atonement
James: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Winner: No Country for Old Men

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Chuck: Michael Clayton
James: Juno (winner)


BEST DIRECTOR
Chuck: Tony Gilroy, Michael Clayton
James: Joel & Ethan Coen, No Country for Old Men (winner)

BEST ANIMATED FILM
Chuck: Surf’s Up
James: Ratatouille (winner)

BEST PICTURE
Chuck: Michael Clayton
James: No Country for Old Men

Comments

Rick said…
Posted mine - still think I should've seen more of these, but I'll try to live up to your standards next year.
Rick said…
Good job, gentlemen. Good night, and good luck.
Chuck said…
Again, thanks James for posting these. Nothing will come quite as close to the 1991 Academy Awards at 222, but I am glad we've kept this tradition rolling. We have outlasted Beat Berman.

In my heart of hearts, I knew that No Country was going to bring home the big ones. I really liked Michael Clayton. Perhaps what I liked most about MC was Tilda Swinton - and it was great that she won. I voted for Surf's Up because that is the 3d animated film that got breaking waves correct. Also, for whatever reason, I was disappointed with Ratatouille.

Go Bourne Ultimatium - 3 Academy Awards. Wow. Renting it tonight.

My favorite pick (and winner) was for Atonement in Original Score. One of the only times I have heard a type writer as a percussive instrument. Really nice layers.

Like Ogres.
Caryn Kirk said…
You would have gotten Best Actress right if you'd seen "La Vie." She was a slam dunk.

Looking forward to "Atonement," but I can't watch it till I finish the book, which on page 70 is still a snoozer.

Maybe I'll have to give "No COuntry" another chance...
Chuck said…
Caryn - Part of my "code" is that in order to vote for a performance I had to see a performance. So, the more "good movies" that I see, the more choices I can vote for.

I defintely want to see La Vie.

Atonement was a snoozer until the last five minutes of the film. However, if you have read the book, I am not sure if the ending will be as big of a pay-off. I am a sucker for period pieces though.

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in Peace, Miss Moneypenney

Captain Marvel Makes Her Debut