Why Wasn't I Crazy About WALL-E?

Pixar Animation continues to reaffirm itself as the preeminent animation studio by telling good, compelling stories. WALL-E, about a solitary robot whose purpose it seems is to clean up the long-abandoned Earth, uses a strongly visual storytelling technique to establish character and place.

WALL-E’s interaction with his environment, his possessions and a cockroach, his one companion, establishes his character and sums up his existence without the use of any dialogue. When a space ship lands and leaves behind another robot, WALL-E’s desire for companionship becomes a real possibility. But nothing in Pixar’s worlds is so easy, and WALL-E ends up accompanying Eve, his sleek new robot friend, into the far reaches of outer space for adventures WALL-E could never have dreamed of.

Thematically it is a lot like a full-length animated indie flick floating around out there called Terra, in which the short-sighted humans destroyed their earth and were forced into space. In Terra, which features Dennis Quaid, Luke Wilson, Rosanna Arquette, Amanda Peet and James Garner, the earthlings find a planet that they can colonize, where as in WALL-E, the wayward earthlings are waiting for the robotic Eve to return an olive branch to the ark so that they can return to Earth. Both films serve as cautionary tales for children, reminders of the havoc their parents are wreaking on the planet.

My personal reaction to both films was that they were okay, Terra being far more heavy-handed than the gentle WALL-E. Though the latter is a better film, I think I enjoyed Terra a little more.

As for WALL-E, it is an exceptionally entertaining and well-made film. I cannot find any real fault with the movie’s animation, its characters, design or performances. (Star Wars fans note that Ben Burtt is credited with the film's sound design and the as voice of WALL-E). And the story is certainly elegant and interesting. Perhaps it was because I saw it on the night of July 4th after a large plate of ribs that it failed to truly move me. Regardless, this G-rated Disney/Pixar offering will appeal to every child and many parents.

Above: As of May of this year, Terra, directed by Aristomenis Tsirbas, had played in Toronto and Seattle and had yet to annouce national discribution.

Comments

Caryn Kirk said…
Unlike the hub, I loved WALL-E. It highlighted the extreme preciousness of life, our need for meaningful work, and humanity's compelling love instinct. I guess I saw it less as a cautionary tale and more of a life-and-love-affirming tale -- very Biblical and moving. Oh, and masterful wordless storytelling.
Chuck said…
Jay - My reaction to the movie was very similar to yours. But, I totally MISSED the olive branch/ark theme!! I had started to see this as a "Great, here we go again, another GREEN message. Thanks."

But that theme begins to open a whole NEW side to this story.

I really loved Pixar's movies that dealt with family. That is why, for me, Toy Story, Monster's Inc, Finding Nemo and The Incredibles all work for me. Bugs Life, Ratatouille, and, ultimately, WALL-E doesn't.

But....on the plus side: I found a first run theater with four dollar matinees! WooHoo! It only cost me sixteen dollars to be slightly disappointed with this film.

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in Peace, Miss Moneypenney

Captain Marvel Makes Her Debut