Summer Movies

Even though summer hasn't officially ended, the 2008 Summer Movie season is at an end. This year, I did not see as many as I would like. But what did surprise me was how fast they seemed to drop out of the theaters. Already, X-Files can be found in our local second run theaters. And, I really wanted to see The Happening, but it left the theater so quickly, it left you asking "What Happened?"

So what films stood out for me this summer?

Iron Man: What a way to start the summer. This film could have been such a miss, and I was prepared to dislike it. But it seems that Marvel knows what their characters are about. Robert Downey, Jr just owned the role of Tony Stark.

Prince Caspian: I think I saw this movie. I think I just didn't care about it.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: Ok, it was fun and captured the essence of the original film, but I think I could have lived without this adventure.

Kung Fu Panda: Finally a Jack Black film I liked.

The Incredible Hulk: An incredible redemption from the bad taste left by the first film. You did good Norton.

Wall-E: I am really split over this one. I really liked this film until he got on board the ark. The animation was tops.

Hancock: This was an example of a film that showed all of the good parts during the preview. You can almost feel the moment that this one jumped the shark.

Hellboy II: This film reminded me of movies like Buckaroo Banzai and Big Trouble in Little China. I totally bought into the milieu and had a blast with it. I am looking forward to see what Guillermo Del Toro does with The Hobbit.

The Dark Knight: My second favorite Batman film. Heath Ledger's Joker was fresh and different, and really brought a sense of legitimacy to the character. What could have made this film better? About 20 minutes less.

Clone Wars: Not the film I thought it would be. Luckily, I was well informed of what it was, so, when I did go to see it, I did not stand and scream about how George Lucas stole my childhood.

Films I did not get to see:

Speed Racer : I was never into Speed Racer, beyond the song.

Sex and the City:
Never saw an episode. And, besides…er, no.

You Don't Mess With the Zohan: When was the last funny Adam Sandler movie. I expect this will be a riot on DVD.

The Happening: I wanted to see this, but the reviews were awful.

Get Smart: Wait for the DVD.

Wanted: This looked cool, but I missed it when it came out. Will catch it on DVD.

Step Brothers: From the Director of Anchorman and Talladega Nights and starring Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly…how could they possibly miss? Seriously, is anyone counting how many movies Will is cranking out?

The X Files: I Want to Believe: Personally, for me, the X-Files died when I saw the first film. It was never the same for me afterwards.

The Mummy 3: I like Brendan, but, I will say it three times: No, No, No (at least until it hits DVD).

The Rocker: I like Rainn Wilson – only as Mr. Shrute.

Pineapple Express: I decided to skip this one. I had seen most of Seth Rogen's films, but, after awhile they are all the same – and all about stoners.

Tropic Thunder: I may still catch this one before it leaves the theater.

And what do we have to look forward to for the Summer of 2009? Two Words: Star Trek.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in Peace, Miss Moneypenney

Captain Marvel Makes Her Debut