Fourth Row Center Likes Sweeney Todd


I saw Sweeney Todd on Broadway in 2005 and was surprised to learn earlier this year that Tim Burton was bringing the Stephen Sondheim musical to the screen with Johnny Depp.

This is one review that I fully concur with Chuck on.

Like Chuck, I was surprised that Depp can sing but he more than does justice to Sondheim's beautiful songs. Sweeney Todd is indeed quite grisly, yet imaginatively staged with with terrific performances from the entire cast. Alan Rickman, perhaps my favorite villainous actor (Hans Gruber in Die Hard and the sheriff in Robin Hood) turns in a satisfying performance as the hated Judge Turpin.

Not one for the family, nor for the faint of heart. But despite the grim subject matter and gruesome murders, Sweeney Todd is one of my favorite films of 2007.
***** out of 5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in Peace, Miss Moneypenney

Captain Marvel Makes Her Debut