Beowulf

This year's thanksgiving movie was Beowulf. Or, as I care to think of it: sweet revenge for having to sit through Sense and Sensibility two years ago. I saw the movie with my still blushing bride at the Colonial Mall Cinema in Myrtle Beach. This theater had removed all but two of their 35mm projectors and had them replaced with DLP projectors. Beowulf was also shown in 3D, making this the first full length, non kiddie, 3D film that I have seen. The film is also animated in the style of Polar Express and Monster House. Robert Zemekis directs and bring long time collaborator Alan Silvestri along to compsose the film's soundtrack.

Other than the story of ridding King Hrothgar of Grendel the troll, I had no idea of the story. To be honest, it took a long time for me to get into the story.

The movie almost took a turn for some unintentional humor as Beowulf slays Grendal without the help of any clothing. It reminded me of the closing scene in Austin Powers where he uses strategically placed fruit to cover his privates.

Over all, this is a film you would see more for the technoloy than the story. Visually, it was impressive. The 3D effects were tasteful, and only used a few gimmicks to show off the techniques. Our presentation was marred by bleed through from the adjoining auditorium.

Comments

James said…
Arg! The infernal bleed-through. I hate that.
Steve said…
I saw it. Perhaps it would have been better in 3D. I wish Cliff Notes had created a version like they did for the novel I never read in high school. Ran a tad long and left me saying, "yep, that was a movie."

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in Peace, Miss Moneypenney

Captain Marvel Makes Her Debut